Bridger Mountain Scribes
The Bridger Mountain Scribes of Montana comprises calligraphers in southwest Montana, including Bozeman and Gallatin Gateway. We meet once a month to discuss calligraphy, artists books, and other book arts, usually on the 1st Monday of the month at the Bozeman Public Library.
We are a member guild of the statewide Montana guild, Big Sky Scribes. If you’d like to find out more about calligraphy in southwest Montana, attend our meetings, or join the guild, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Meeting on Wednesday, September 13, 2017
Our next meeting is Wednesday, September 13. Note that this is not the usual meeting time. The first Monday of the month, our usual date, is Labor Day weekend. The following Monday is the day after the Big Sky Scribes workshop, which 4 of us are attending in Missoula. We didn’t want to go much later than that, so we chose the following Wednesday.
At the September meeting we will be making portfolios to house the ABC project each of us has been working on this year. More information and a supplies list will be forthcoming as the date approaches.
Finally, we discussed plans for the fall 2018 Big Sky Scribes workshop, which we are hosting. Please participate in the poll and survey concerning our preferences as to date and instructor. Consult your email for a links to each of these.
Our July meeting
Our next meeting will be held on Tuesday, July 11, from 11 am to 1 pm at the library in the small meeting room.
We’ll be experimenting with all kinds of metallic and white inks, paints, markers, etc. on black paper. I’ll bring Pro White and Dr. Martin’s Pen White, as well as my favorite metallic watercolors: FineTec. I’ll also bring my favorite gold and white gel pens. Do you have some white and gold media that you are willing to share with the group so that we can test them ourselves? If so, comment on this post so others can see what you’re bringing and we can get a nice variety.
What to bring:
- metallic and white watercolor, gouache, ink to share, for experimentation
- whatever palette, brush, etc. people will need to use your shared media (for example, if you bring gouache or watercolor you might also bring a little dish, a mixing brush, and a small container of water; if you bring a gel pen or marker then nothing else is required)
- black paper — a pad of Strathmore Artagain would be great, or any other black paper you have on hand; I cut mine down to 5″ x 7″ to make experimental records I can keep for future reference
- dip pens at a size you like to use – broad-edge and/or pointed
- water jar, pen wipe (cloth rag)
- a sturdy board to use as a tilted writing surface