Bridger Mountain Scribes
The Bridger Mountain Scribes of Montana comprises calligraphers in southwest Montana, including Bozeman and Gallatin Gateway. We meet once a month to discuss calligraphy, artists books, and other book arts, usually on the 1st Monday of the month at the Bozeman Public Library.
We are a member guild of the statewide Montana guild, Big Sky Scribes. If you’d like to find out more about calligraphy in southwest Montana, attend our meetings, or join the guild, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Meeting on Monday, January 8
Our next meeting is Monday, January 8, from 11 am to 1 pm in the small conference room.
Beth and Rose have been scheming about a fun project: A triangle fold miniature book! And the good thing is we will bring most of the paper and supplies.
Here’s what you need to bring (we will have these on hand in case you do not have it to bring)
- X-acto or craft knife
- cutting mat
- favorite monoline marker
- pencil (for making guidelines)
- ruler (SeeThru or something accurate)
- Even More Optional: four intentions for the new year or other words of inspiration
- Anything you’d like to write inside the book.
- If you have decorative paper you’d like to use for the book cover, bring it! You will need 2 pieces no smaller than 4″ x 4″.
We will bring the paper (Arches Text Wove) for book pages, book board, decorative paper, stamps, glue, protective newspaper, etc.
The inside pages can be left blank, using this as a model for future use, or you can decorate the inside pages as follows:
- rubber stamp images–add words
- write in calligraphy your intentions for new year and hang in your home as a reminder (and decorate pages!)
- draw, paint, zentangle a design on each page
- make it a celebratory card for birthday, graduation, etc. (see example pasted below)
- leave it blank until you are inspired
Our hope is that you use this as a model, and you can use this sample to make a extraordinarily special card for a friend, … or hang it in your home for yourself. It’s much simpler than it looks. If you have the September 2017 copy of Bound and Lettered, the complete instructions are there … bring it along.
We also need to discuss briefly (and decide?) our project for this year. Some suggestions that I can recall were
poetry using local poets with permission
- our own poetry, haiku, quotes
- illustrated recipe book
Bring your ideas — and memory!
And finally, mark your calendars for the February meeting: 11am – 1pm on Monday, February 8.
Laurie Doctor in Bozeman in September 2018!
On September 23-23, 2018, Laurie Doctor will teach at the Big Sky Scribes fall workshop, hosted by the Bridger Mountain Scribes in Bozeman. Stay tuned as more details emerge.