Bridger Mountain Scribes
The Bridger Mountain Scribes of Montana comprises calligraphers in southwest Montana, including Bozeman and Gallatin Gateway. We meet once a month to discuss calligraphy, artists books, and other book arts, usually on the 1st Monday of the month at the Bozeman Public Library.
We are a member guild of the statewide Montana guild, Big Sky Scribes. If you’d like to find out more about calligraphy in southwest Montana, attend our meetings, or join the guild, email email@example.com.
Meeting on Monday, May 14
Our next meeting is Monday, May 14, from 11 am to 1 pm in the small conference room.
Beth, Barb and Rose will talk briefly about the Big Sky Scribes spring workshop they attended in Helena last weekend, where they studied Spencerian script with Harvest Crittenden. Spencerian script was a handwriting system developed in the U.S. in the late 19th century. It is written with a pointed pen.
Watch this short YouTube video for a glimpse of the compilation of some pretty flashy Spencerian writing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WixxR4NMnVI
We won’t be studying the script itself on Monday, but we’ll do some of the standard exercises that help with muscle memory for better writing. These drills will aid all of your lettering, not just Spencerian script − pointed pen, broad-edge pen, and handwriting.
Bring the following:
- a short text, 7-15 words
- dip pen, pointed nib if you have it (smallish broad edge if you don’t have pointed)
- ink or paint for the small finished piece
- palette or inkwell as needed
- pencil for drills and making guidelines
- layout paper, if you have some on hand (transparent but heavier than tracing paper)
We will provide drill guides, and layout paper if you need it.
Meeting on Monday, April 2
Our next meeting is Monday, April 2, from 11 am to 1 pm in the small conference room.
We will be making a “Just a Note” Card. Barb will be bringing samples of other cards to make to include different folds, use of embellishments and embossing. So, it all depends how crazy you want to get and how many different cards you want to make.
Please bring the following materials:
- Decorative paper will be available, but if you have some you are wanting to use, please bring
- Bone folder
- Calligraphy you have that would fit on a 5 1/2″ by 4 1/4″ piece of card stock. Some of us took Beth’s Pointed Pen Class and have “thank you’s” we made that would make great thank you cards
- Calligraphy pen and ink in case you want to calligraphy vs using the stamps for the “text” part of the card making.
Also, I want to encourage you to bring what you have been working on with the year-long project. And of course we always want to see what you’ve been working on.